Watch course introduction
Introduction to NEBOSH International General Certificate Online training (please watch full video)
“NEBOSH has updated the International General Certificate – the most trusted health and safety qualification of its kind in the world. It’s designed to reflect the needs of today’s employer giving learners everything they need to know and do to make their workplace safer.” – NEBOSH website.
The new NEBOSH IGC syllabus has been streamlined to allow core skills to be considered in greater depth.
It covers how to effectively manage health and safety, and how to identify, reduce and control the key hazards in every kind of workplace.
Risk assessment is central to the IGC qualification, making sure it reflects the real-life roles people perform.
Important links to NEBOSH policies and procedures:
- Link to NEBOSH IGC webpage
- Link to NEBOSH IGC resources
- NEBOSH policies and procedures
- Learner terms and conditions
- Relevant to every workplace
- Anyone with health and safety management responsibilities
- People starting out in a health and safety career.
- Team Leaders
- HR professionals
- Facilities Managers
- How to effectively manage health and safety
- How to identify and control common workplace hazards
- How to measure success
- Confidently carry out risk assessments
- Develop and implement a detailed action plan
- Manage and minimize workplace risks
- Support and develop a company’s health and safety culture
- Ensure your teams undertake their day-to-day activities safely
Unit IG1: Management of Health and Safety
- Element 1: Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- Element 2: How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Element 3: Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Element 4: Health and safety monitoring and measuring
- Element 5: Physical and psychological health
- Element 6: Musculoskeletal health
- Element 7: Chemical and biological agents
- Element 8: General workplace issues
- Element 9: Work equipment
- Element 10: Fire
- Element 11: Electricity
- One question paper that assesses what you know (written open book exam and a closing interview)
- A practical risk assessment that assesses what you can do (open book assignment)
No specific prerequisites are mandatory, but we highly recommend you have field experience in safety practice and one or more introductory safety training courses.
NEBOSH recommends an English language level Equivalent to an International English Language Testing System score of 6.0 or higher in IELTS tests.
Unit IG1: “Pass” or “Refer” based on the passing threshold set by NEBOSH
Unit IG2: ‘Pass’ or ‘Refer’, you need to meet the criteria for a ‘Pass’ standard.
A ‘Pass’ must be achieved in both units to achieve the International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
As of now Trainovate™ only offers NEBOSH IGC in English language, but Arabic and other languages may be available soon.
Once you have your qualification parchment for the IGC, you can apply for the following memberships:
- Associate membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (AIIRSM)
- Associate or Technical membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
Once you register for this online training, you will have a maximum of 6 months to complete the whole program, if you cannot make it within 6 months, you will need to re-register for the whole program.
Achieving the qualification:
You will have five years to complete your assessments, once you are done with this online training.
The five-year period starts from the date you passed your first successful unit exam (‘declaration date’).
Any unit that is five or more years old will not count towards the qualification and you will need to retake the exam for this/these unit(s) if you still want to complete the qualification.
Resitting or retaking your assessment:
You may resit a unit assessment if you:
- are ‘Referred’ (i.e. didn’t pass)
- want to retake Unit IG1 to get a higher grade (Unit IG2 is ‘Pass’ or ‘Refer’ and does not count towards the qualification grade).
A refund will not be given if you register to re-sit a unit before an original unit result is known.
If your resit result is lower than the original mark, you will keep the original mark awarded for the unit.
To resit or retake, you need to pay the exam fees again.
Retaking (resitting) IG1 To improve your grade:
If you want to try to improve your grade in Unit IG1, you need to tell NEBOSH in writing within 20 working days of the declaration date of your third successful unit.
Otherwise, a qualification parchment (certificate) will automatically be issued showing the original declaration date.
You shall receive only one certificate for NEBOSH IGC, it shall be issued within 40 days of your result release date, and again you must pass both unit assessments to receive your certificate.
Trainovate™ will issue you an acknowledgement letter of attendance once you complete the full online course, this is only a letter for HR purposes and it is NOT a certificate from NEBOSH or from us.
Registration and fees:
- The price you are going to pay to register for this online training DOES NOT include your exam fees.
- Click here for the details of exam registration fees.
- Once you register for this training and pay, our e-learning coordinator will be in touch with you through email, to guide you through the process of the exam registration.
- Please note that every country will have different prices for exam registration based on your exam venue, The exam venue will either be one of our Trainovate™ test centers or the British Council, with which we are going to coordinate.
- Upon registration, we will be sending your student agreement, which you need to sign and send back to us.
- Once you are done with your online training, our coordinator will guide you through your exam fees, sitting date & venue.
- Once more the exam fees are separate from the fees you pay upon the registration for this online review.
- Please be reminded that the Fees for IGC1 exam registration may vary from one country to another.
Recommended hours of study:
NEBOSH recommends about 93 hours of study for this certificate including taught hours, self study and assessment, and with 6 months access to this online training you will sure have more than that number of hours to finish your studies and assessments.
For any further queries please send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org